Allied Health Instructor
Raleigh, North Carolina
Occupational Category: 31-9092.00 Medical Assistants; 43-3021.02 Medical Billing
Description: Gwinnett College seeks adjunct instructors to teach in our medical assisting and medical billing and coding programs. The position is to teach students at the diploma and associate degree levels. At present, most courses are taught in a hybrid fashion where students are not on campus for the entirety of their courses. Instructors are expected to teach courses from campus.
- Proactively creates a learning environment that is unique, memorable and personal.
- Demonstrates a service-minded attitude and models the Company’s expected behaviors (core values) on a daily basis with students, colleagues and employers.
- Maintains a positive attitude in being flexible and adapting to individual student learning needs.
- Effectively translates subject matter expertise to engage and educate students through active learning.
- Creates a two-way learning partnership by encouraging student accountability as part of the educational process. Students are encouraged to seek the Instructor’s help and the Instructor will be available and willing to provide extra assistance for students experiencing difficulty.
- Maintains “ownership” of student attendance and proactively maintains contact with students.
- Prepares and submits weekly lesson plans inclusive of learning activities that stimulate student involvement, encourage reflection and critical thinking, and take into consideration different learning styles.
- Provides each student with a course syllabus that includes course objectives that include student learning outcomes, learning activities to achieve those objectives, methods of evaluation and attendance requirements at the beginning of the course. The Instructor will review the syllabus in its entirety and address any student questions regarding the information communicated.
- Relates to students in a fair, courteous and professional manner. Encourages students to maintain professional/appropriate dress and behavior in accordance with Gwinnett’s Student Code of Conduct Policy.
- Ensures timeliness, fairness, and consistency in grading and evaluation of student work in support of Company policies.
- Actively participates in the evaluation of program/course materials to include recommendations for course revisions, selection of textbooks and other teaching aids, and development of curricula as needed.
- Utilizes approved textbooks and supports the material with well-defined lesson plans that include pertinent examples and exercises with practical applications.
- Maintains current knowledge of adult learning methodologies, new classroom technologies and industry/healthcare standards through continuing education, such as external development opportunities, in-service activities, membership in professional organizations, and reading of current professional periodicals, incorporating this knowledge into the learning environment.
- Attends and actively participates in all scheduled in-services, meetings and completes assigned independent study modules to maintain faculty development requirements.
- Maintains a safe learning environment by ensuring that students and staff use supplies and equipment in accordance with manufacturer guidelines and clean up after completing class.
- Completes reports as required by Program Director in an accurate and timely manner.
- Submits supplies and equipment requests to the Program Director in a timely fashion.
- Proactively initiates appropriate actions to re-engage and retain at-risk students.
- Demonstrates collaboration and maintains a “team player” appreciation for functional accountabilities and priorities at the campus outside of Academics.
- Takes ownership of the classroom resources, tools and supplies to ensure that ongoing needs are addressed in a timely manner.
- Maintains positive communications with students concerning administrative and school policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a medical assistant, medical biller/medical coder, or similar.
- Associate degree in an allied health field
- 5 years in allied health required.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Comfortable in the use of classroom technology
- Can motivate students toward the goal of graduation.
- Attention to detail, sense of urgency and passion for making a difference in the lives of others
- Able to work independently, yet within a strong team environment
- Able to work a flexible schedule
- Passionately committed to customer service
- Strong affinity for connecting with and understanding the needs of others
- Motivating and inspiring
- Positive and approachable
- Freely acknowledges and appreciates effort
- Flexibility and the ability to multitask
- Effective listening and communication skills
- Classroom management
- Open and inclusive of others’ input
- Ability to translate theory into practice
- Strong planning and organization skills
Job Type: Part-time