IV Therapy – Orlando Campus
Gwinnett College offers a variety continuing education and professional development training courses that are designed to be an “add-on” to existing knowledge and experience in the medical field. Applicants wishing to take one of these IV Therapy technician certification courses must provide documentation that they have prior medical backgrounds, either through coursework or work experience. The IV Therapy technician certification courses are intended to enhance a person’s ability to work in their chosen field by adding additional skills and knowledge and are not to be considered as a direct path to a new therapy technician career.
These IV Therapy technician certification classes are not recognized by the schools’ accrediting bodies and do not quality for student financial aid. The schedules for these IV Therapy technician certification classes vary and they may not be offered at all campuses. Please contact the campus of your choice for current scheduling information.
IV Therapy Technician Certification Preparation Course– Four Weeks – 30 Contact Hours
The IV Therapy Technician Certification Preparation course provides the healthcare professional with the phlebotomy and intravenous therapy knowledge necessary to prepare for certification.
IV Therapy Technician Certification Preparation Course Objectives:
- Compare and contrast the scope of practice for the roles of RN and LPN
- Review Circulatory system anatomy and physiology with special attention to IV access points of adults and children.
- Discuss use, care, and maintenance of the three different types of IV catheters.
- Perform dosage calculations with medications for IV administration within the scope of students practice.
- Discuss caring for clients with peripheral and central IV lines.
- Demonstrate and perform, in simulated practice, the venipuncture process.
- Demonstrate and perform, in simulated practice, the start of a peripheral IV.
- Demonstrate proper labeling and care of blood specimens.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of IV pumps.
- Demonstrate cultural challenges in dealing with clients.